COVID-19: GES Confirms 55 Out of 314 Persons Tests Positive In Accra Girls SHS
In the release, the Ghana Education Service has confirmed that a total of 314 persons which comprises of students as well as staff from Schools have been tested.
Out of this number, only 55 persons have tested positive for COVID-19 while 259 persons tested negative.
It further stated that Accra Girls Senior High School has recorded most cases from the first report to date.
In addition to the above, GES outlined the actions it has taken by far to minimize the spread of the disease in the various Senior High School.
The Statement read;
Following the first report of COVID-19 cases in some Senior High Schools in the country on 6th July, 2020, the Ghana Health Service and the Ghana Education Service instituted a number of measures to determine the extent of the outbreak and containment measures.
Accra Girls Senior High School has recorded most cases from the first report to date. As at 13th July, 2020, a total of 314 persons (student and staff) from the School have been tested. Out of these, 55 have been confirmed positive for COVID-19 while 259 persons tested negative.
ACTIONS TAKEN SO FAR
- Identification and segregation of contact from other students
- Sample collection and laboratory testing of all contacts identified and Suspected cases
- All confirmed cases have been transferred to designated national treatment and isolation centres for management
- Restriction of number of students that attend dining at a particular time
- Enforcement of social distancing protocols, enhanced hand hygiene practices and the proper use of the face mask
- Disinfection of the entire school has been carried out
- Adequate PPES have been provided to health staff stationed in the school
- Education on COVID-19 prevention and control has been intensified within the school
- Counselling and psychological support is being provided to the students
- The school has designated a quarantine and isolation centre
- Parents and guardians of affected student have been duly contacted
- Staff of the school have been reassured
Similarly, a few other schools have reported sporadic cases which have not experience a surge.
To prevent spread of COVID-19 in senior high schools across the country, similar measures are being implemented.
Ghana Education Service (GES) working with Ghana Health Service wishes to inform parents, guardians and the general public that efforts are being made to ensure the safety of our staff and students.